Sunday 1 June 2008

Art Block.

How does one break this horrible thing of utter evil and causer of copious amounts of artistic stress? I know that the majority of artists out there are thinking, "You're a complaining teen with no sense, shut the Hell up!" and you're possibly right. But I do have a few techniques for ridding yourself of this thorn in your side once and for all if you keep it up.


The first option is no secret, watch a movie or listen to some new music. Inspiration is an easy thing to find through these forms of media, as one knows there are hundreds of thousands of each to keep one preoccupied for a life time. But what if you find yourself too lazy to watch a movie or look for new music, or you don't even have time to do so?

This brings me to another option, based off a game that is played in our school on the last few days of school. What you do is simply scribble in 3 or 4 places, and try and see if you can create something from the scribbles you have made. You needn't be strict either, let the ideas flow from there! After you've got one nailed see if you can continue with the theme, I've found this can generate quite a few interesting designs for myself. There's a sample at the end of this blog, but I only had time to do two.


Another is a game I play with some of my friends over at Art Grounds. What you do is ask someone to give you three objects, and two animals. You then think of something interesting that involves all of the named objects and doodle it down! It's a great way to get the ideas flowing and can also generate a few laughs in the process. Of course you can change the two animals into any being you wish depending on your preference. Never any solid rules for these things haha.


Another technique I've seen around is simply sifting through a news paper and picking out ten words. You then doodle up the first thing that comes to mind. I haven't really ever used this technique, but hey it's the artists preference and each one of us is different.


Now if you'll pardon me I'm going to go and doodle some more and perhaps endulge in some good ol' Mario Kart. Enjoy your day guys!

No comments: